SFATA or the Smoke-Free Alternatives Trade Association has a stated mission to advocate for a reasonably regulated U.S. marketplace which allows our member companies to provide smoke-free products to adult consumers that are an attractive choice, while promoting a positive public image for vapor products and educating businesses in our industry.
SFATA is committed to providing an alternative to combustible tobacco products for adult smokers:
- SFATA and its members sell only to adults.
- SFATA and its members do not market to minors.
- SFATA and its members support a national age standard on the sale of vapor products and e-liquids that aligns with the national age of majority for other adult responsibilities such as voting, paying taxes, and serving in our U.S. military.
In order to provide the high-quality, reliable product the industry strives to create, SFATA has instituted the following standards in order to assure vapor products are appropriately marketed, packaged, and sold:
- SFATA and its members do not make any health or cessation claims in their marketing.
- SFATA and its members support packaging all e-liquids in child resistant packaging, consistent with the Poison Prevention Packaging Act and federal law.
- SFATA and its members support accurate and appropriate labeling of the products to inform the adult consumer of the contents of the package.
- SFATA and its members support the development of industry consensus standards that are consistent with the American National Standards Institute requirements.
SFATA encourages its members to:
- Prevent sales to minors by adopting a written company policy against selling to minors, training employees through a nationally recognized age-verification instruction program on how to properly ID customers, and verifying staff is properly checking identification according to the law.
- Institute expert mixing processes; including proper employee training and the use of sterile equipment and clean room procedures to avoid contamination at any point in the mixing or packaging process.