Top 3 Tips to Help You Stop Smoking
Table of Contents
1. Stop being a quitter
You’ve probably read and heard a lot about “quitting smoking”, “giving up smoking”, or “giving up cigarettes” etc.
But, we won’t be talking about “quitting” or “giving up” anything today, and the reason is that “quitting” and “giving up” both have unconscious second meanings in our brains.
These second meanings make up a part of this addiction that we call smoking. Breaking away from thinking about “giving up” means no longer connecting the act of “stopping smoking” with missing out on something because you “gave it up”.
Likewise, you’ll no longer have a silent part of your brain feel like you’re a quitter for “quitting”, meaning the rest of you can feel more free in stopping a deadly habit.
2. Write down a list of all of the reasons why you want to stop smoking.
(For those who don’t feel like you really ‘want’ to stop smoking, write down at least why you should stop smoking).
The results of this study were astounding.
The study asked students one question: “Have you set clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?”
Of the participating students, 84% had no specific goals at all, 13% had goals but they were not committed to paper and just 3% had clear, written goals and plans to accomplish them.
Ten years later, Harvard followed up with these same students to find out what came of their goals. The 13% of the class who had goals were earning, on average, twice as much as the 84 percent who had no goals at all.
The most impressive take away though was the 3% who wrote down their goals. This 3% were earning, on average, ten times as much as the other 97 percent put together. Ten times.
3. Experiment with different flavors & nicotine levels
Since you’re reading an article on Vapetrotter, I’m going to go ahead and assume I won’t trigger anyone by suggesting you vape (for many people I know, vaping is the only reason they aren’t smoking still).
No matter what your preference, there is a juice flavor out there somewhere for you. Many people who are starting out think that they should go for a tobacco flavor that tastes similar to their old cigarettes.
This logic never really worked for me, or anyone else that I know.
If you are stopping smoking, the less reminders you have of the old ways the better. Go into your local vape store and try as many flavors as you can stomach, find a few that you love and that feel right for you, and then move onto choosing a nicotine level that suits your starter kit and smoking style.
Most device types on the market allow you to select your own nicotine level and add your own e-liquid. If you’re using a pod style device or kit you may be limited in selections (which is not always a bad thing in this very saturated industry).
Assuming you are using a refillable starter kit though, you’ll be faced with picking a nicotine level to curb the cravings throughout the day. Simple trial-and-error should sort this out for you pretty quickly.
Mouth-To-Lung (MTL) Inhale
Mouth-to-lung inhalation style vapes more closely emulate smoking a cigarette in feel. Popular nicotine levels range between 6mg (quite low) all the way up to 36mg (very high, generally older style devices), but 12mg, 16mg, and 18mg seem to be the norm for this style.
Lung Hit or Direct-To-Lung (DTL) Inhale
Direct-to-lung inhalation vapes generally have lower resistance coils and higher air flow, more closely resembling the feel of a Hookah or Shisha. Popular nicotine levels range between 1mg (very light nicotine, generally for a little nicotine hit, but mostly used for cloud-chasing, for flavor, or for cutting down), up to about 12mg (quite strong in a low or sub ohm device). 3mg and 6mg are generally the most commonly used concentrations seen in these types of devices.
Vaping can be a steep learning curve for some who are just starting out, so if you live in an area with easily accessible shops, you should go into a shop to look at your starter kit options in person.
I could write an entire post about the options (and probably will soon), but at the end of the day there is only so much you can find out online before an in-person rundown becomes advantageous.